The Arctic Gondola

posted on 10th April 2006 under Travel Norway

This will be the second last article about the northern part of Norway (I do hope you enjoy the others below!). As I always want to be on top, I went to the roof of Tromsø by a gondola. Of course I had my mobile phone with me to capture the exiting moments and share them with you:

The meeting gondola

In just four minutes the cable car in Tromsø takes you up to “Storsteinen” 420 metres above sea level), where you can take pleasure in a fantastic view overlooking the town and surrounding mountains. At the “Fjellstua” restaurant, you can enjoy a cup of coffee, lunch or dinner, while delighting in the view. Fully-licensed bar. Outdoor café, kiosk and post box with its own stamp.

higher and higer – and – on the roof of Tromsø

As the gondola gets higher, the town gets smaller and the view more and more impressive and beautiful. It was a bit windy so we where swinging a bit from side to side, but that just increased the feeling of flying – free like a bird :-)

feeling on top of the world

This time I was together with some other delegates for The Norwegian Computer Society (their national assembly was the reason for my trip) and the where so kind taking pics of me for fun. Hope you like the view and bear with me for my craziness as I just had to sit on the belt tractor :-)
After this, there will be one more article about the Arctic and that would be about reindeer sleighs – so stay tuned and you will have a jolly good ride in a couple of days!

8 Responses to “The Arctic Gondola”

1. Sidney says:

That is quite an adventure! Must be cold at such a high altitude! Great view of the city !

2. RennyBA says:

@Ana: It was high and I loved it! Congratulations with you’re new blog which I recomand others to visit: http://imageanalogy.my-expressions.com/
    @Chas: Yes, you have something to look forward too – actually a lot!
    @Cruise: I was felling at my best, yes :-)
    @Al: Thanks – hope you will be able to experience the same one day! Happy Eeaster to you and you’re family too.
    @Aceian: Belive me or not: the snow will soon be gone and I will introduce you to the spring season in Norway soon. You’re ride is ready in the next article :-)
    @Thess: Thanks for you’re compliments, I’m glad you liked them all. I took the opportunely to explore quite a lot at this trip and have learned a great deal too.

3. thess says:

Hello there!

I really enjoyed reading your Artic entries, Tromsø sounds like a fascinating place, wonderful captures- both written and pictures you have made.

Happy Easter!

regards

4. aceian says:

There is the snow again! lol. I am looking forward for the jolly good ride!

5. AL says:

EXCELLENT VIEW! I really envy you this time for your adventure in Tromsø. :)

… Happy Easter to you and your family!

6. cruise says:

the view is indeed very beautiful! a top of the world experience…

7. Chas Ravndal says:

wow, it looks exciting and adventurous. I should ride one of those when i get there

8. ana says: