Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjord islands

posted on 19th September 2009 under Food, Habits, Summer

From the harbour of the capital of Norway, The Oslo Fjord, you find the most popular recreation area. The fjord is a long gem, 100 km between Færder lighthouse to Oslo, and it is encircled by the country’s most densely populated area. In the summer the fjord comes to life and my wife DianeCA and I often go to our favourite little island for a swim, some tanning and sometimes a little picnic. With my Nokia N82 at hand, I captured one of this quality times with my wife this summer and you’re welcome to join our BBQ feast:

Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjords islands #1
Grilled chicken with salad and dressing.

This island, Kalvøya (Calf Island) is just 20 minutes from Oslo center by public transportation. Even in this densely populated area in Norway (Oslo: 0.5 mil.), you can find your own, quiet little spot along the fjord to enjoy the tranquillity and fresh air. You’ll also find beaches – sometimes a bit overcrowded to my taste – or less crowded like the nude beach ;-). Her we found our own little bathing spot and after a relaxing swim, my wife packed out the food for a BBQ and I was the chef:
Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjords islands #2

Norwegians have a close relationship with boating, and this is evident in the Oslo fjord. In the summer there are boats of all sizes on the fjord, and it is possible to go kayaking, canoeing, fishing, and sailing if you wish to enjoy the outdoors! This is the view from our cook out that day – to me this is by all means; recreational:
Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjords islands #3

There is a flourishing animal life on this island with a lot of birds, some more intrusive than others. Here are some seagulls enjoying some of our leftovers:
Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjords islands #4

I just love to be out in the nature, not only in the summer time, but in all four seasons. It’s a way to charge your batteries, to find inspiration and get away from the stressful, urban life. In Oslo, it’s just outside your doorstep you know. As I’ve reported before, this island is recreational in all seasons – have a look:
-> From frozen Paradise to hot summer beaches in Oslo Norway
-> Frozen Paradise

34 Responses to “Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjord islands”

1. The other destinations that I went to were Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, and Kristiansand (I liked Stavanger: the Best Western Hotel had free soup and light snacks for dinner, and let me use the hotel laptop with wireless for a couple of hours).

2. I went there a couple of years ago, but unfortuantely, the places you mention I did not go. That said, I did go on the Flom railway (absolutely incredible) to the tiny communinty of Flom, where a ferry was caught down the fjord.

3. However, I’ve been told that it’s very similar to some parts of Europe. Can anyone tell me whether Norway would offer anything remarkably different? The destinations in Norway would be Andalsnes, Korgen, Tysford, Svartisen Glacier, Skibotn and Hammerfest.

4. Robert Scott says:

Great place isn’t it ! Can’t recall the name of the particular island but of the many, the easiest and cheapest to get to. But what about the Stockholm Archipelego !! Now that is even better !

5. ayie says:

i don’t know if it’s just my pregnancy cravings but that tasty looking chicken stole my attention!

6. That plate of grilled chicken looks very tempting!
    What a cool way to spend couple time!
    I can’t find such a quiet spot in tiny Singapore to relax. *envy*

Your times like this with Diane are so inspirational, Renny. My day will come soon. Right now it looks like I will be able to leave Atlanta for the Netherlands at the end of November. I can hardly wait. :)

8. Hexe says:

The pictures reminded me of those last few waning days of summer in the North (sigh!). We are still so very hot here – around 34° Celsius. Enjoy!

9. Pearl says:

Your photography steadily improves Renny.
    Looks like you have warmer weather there than we has in France or Italy. Looks like we sidestepped all the summer warmth by chance this year. Gonna be a long cold winter…

10. That looks really beautiful Renny. I love the water and will be spending the day at the beach on Wednesday…34 C today with lots of humidity, real beach weather. I love it!!

11. Anya says:

Its looks beautiful & peaceful in your country :)
    I wish I was there …..
    Amazing pictures and the chicken looks yummie……….

12. Dora says:

The grilled chicken looks good! :D

13. scart says:

that’s surely a great place to hang out. Have a great week my friend :)

14. RuneE says:

That first picture made me hungry! :-)

15. Nice place, delicious foods. What more can we ask for? Yes, I remember that post you made on July 3. So, this is just the same place with snow on winter. This is pretty amazing place, very useful place across four seasons :)

Outdoor life seems to be the most important choice in Norwegians leisure time. To be outdoor in the Nature with Family and Friends is a healthy drug – gives us inspiration to a better life and work.
    I agrre upon you, we also prefere the Clothes Optional part of the this Island. It’s noisless and full of harmony.
    Very friendly people. Did you know it was declared a Clothe Optional “Beach” during my periode as President in the Norwegian Naturist Assosiation?

Anna as BD today. Rembember one ago?

17. Beautiful photos Renny! Especially the picture of that grilled chicken… Hmmm nam! I am happy to see that you’re having fun and looking good as well. Hugs from me and Odd.

18. Andrea says:

Renny!

What yummy this food!! Thinking about all your photos, I wish I could post my photos of beaches ( Rio de Janeiro, my city in Brazil) in my blog.The text and photos are great but this place is cold, that’s right?! All seasons are hot here and we go to the beach every month (!!!!). So we don’t know much about the cold …but I loved this post!! Good weekend!

19. Sidney says:

Now…that is life !
    Your new haircut looks good…. you look like an Italian gigolo! ;-)

Ah, these are the pictures I spotted on Flickr earlier today!

It’s a beautiful place, indeed. Enjoy the warm weather for now ;-)

i think i’d enjoy a kayak along the way. it’s such a nice way to clear my head, just out in a single person kayak and slowly, rhythmically moving through the water.

22. expatraveler says:

It’s always wonderful to change your batteries! I’ve been missing that and need it…

what a great time!

A nice report about this summer!!! I would want to be still in summer now after two days with rain here in Ollioules!!!
    the nature on your pictures is marvelous and I would want tp smell the fresh air from Oslo fjord!

24. What a lovely time you and Diane had, Renny. That grilled chicken is making me hungry though, lol. ;-)

That water is beautiful but it looks like it’s still pretty chilly to swim in.

Hope you’re enjoying your weekend.

Love and hugs,

Diane

25. laketrees says:

oh what a scrumptious looking chicken salad Renny…
    I’m getting hungry just looking at the photos…
    congratulations on your top 100 blogs award!!!
    you certainly deserve it :)
    have a great weekend :)

26. Tinsie says:

That chicken looks yummy! The whole experience of the Oslo fjord looks amazing, well done :-)

Oh what a breath of fresh air! Beautiful pictures too. And I would love the barbecue as well!
    As always you give us a glimpse into your wonderful Norway, and make me long for a trip over to explore on my own!

1. Summer parties and trips galore « DianeCA’s Metamorphoses
  2. korgen
  3. RennyBA guiding Facebook friends in Oslo Norway
  4. Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjord islands | Oslo Travel - Culture and Recreation
  5. Best of Norway :: Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjord islands :: http://www.bestofnorwayblog.com
  6. Outdoor recreation on Oslo Fjord islands